I love hearing the way that non-native speakers of English word certain phrases and expressions, for example, the title of this entry, where my professor was saying that using the expression "leave me alone" was borderline rude, thus "the beginning of the rude way". Too cute!
This past weekend was absolutely crazy, and it might take me a few more days to recover. Friday we went to Segovia, which is across the Sierra Guadarrama from Madrid, about an hour and a half away. The town itself is much older than Madrid, and had several sights to see- Roman aqueducts, a castle, and a cathedral, to name a few. We spent the whole day there, and we were lucky, because the weather was fantastic. I can´t wait to be able to show everyone pictures, because there is really no way I can describe it on here. I also took some illegal video footage of the cathedral- I mean, what? So, that will be exciting to see.
We returned to Madrid around 7:30 on Friday night, and almost the entire group made plans to meet up in the center of town around 11:30 to go dancing. I know that seems extremely late to start out, even for a weekend, but dinner here usually isn´t over until 10ish, so it was actually perfect timing. The Madrileños are very snazzy dressers and so I feel that I need to dress up as well, but after so many hours my heels were giving me the worst kind of blisters, so Ashley and I got a taxi back to our apartment (the Metro stops running at 1:30.. I will just let you estimate what time it was.) It was a long day and night, but it was worth it, and it was a lot of fun to spend time with everyone in the program all day long. I´m sure people have their differences but for the most part, everyone gets along well.
The next afternoon we went to Parque del Retiro and walked around, relaxing in the sun and taking pictures. We were going to get ice cream, but it was like 3€ for a popsicle. Oh well! That night we were so tired that we watched TV until dinnertime, and after dinner Mavi and I watched a movie. Then I went straight to bed!
Yesterday, (Sunday) Mavi drove the three of us (Ashley, Colin, and myself) up to her mountain house in the Guaderramas. It was this awesome little octagon-shaped house with a wood stove in the middle (which was good to have, because it was SO COLD!). She took us (And Timi, of course) hiking up the mountain for about 6 hours, which was exhausting, but so worth the incredible views and getting to see the Roman roads at the top. Once again, pictures are not sufficient to describe the trip!
Today classes started again, and they weren´t too bad, but I keep forgetting that I have homework to do that´s due Thursday so I´d better get on that. Tomorrow we´re going to the first of 3 museums, which I am looking forward to. Several students are going to Barcelona this weekend, but there is a tiny handful of us trying to go to Salamanca instead. (Barcelona by bus is just too much for me to handle. haha)
Well, I need to go meet Ashley at the Metro station so we can meet up with a few other people to go shopping- FINALLY! ;) Have good days! I enjoyed all the emails that I got, so keep it up! :)
Love,
Erin
Monday, June 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment